Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden  

Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 1 Antworten
und wurde 123 mal aufgerufen
 NHL & Minor Leagues
Mainpirat Offline

O.A.L. Member

26.02.2002 00:18
Gefeuerter Robinson wird Co Trainer in N.J. Antworten
Robinson returns to Devils while Cunniff undergoes cancer treatment

By TOM CANAVAN
Associated Press Writer

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - Recently fired coach Larry Robinson is returning to the New Jersey Devils as an assistant coach while John Cunniff undergoes treatment for a recurrence of throat cancer.
Cunniff, who became an assistant under Kevin Constantine when Robinson was fired on Jan. 28, spent the past two weeks as an assistant coach for Herb Brooks and the silver medal-winning U.S. Olympic hockey team.

Devils president Lou Lamoriello said Cunniff was told about the cancer before the Olympics, and that he wanted to go Salt Lake City, anyway.

"That's the way he is," Lamoriello said. "I have known him for such a long time. He's an exceptional person. This is John." Robinson was to rejoin the Devils on Tuesday, when they return from the Olympic break for a game in New York against the Rangers.

Robinson, who has been at his home in Florida, was not immediately available for comment.

Constantine didn't think it would awkward working with the man he replaced.

"It's different, but different only in that it hasn't been done that much before," said Constantine, who has guided the Devils to a 4-1-2 record since taking over.

Devils captain Scott Stevens said Robinson was the first person he thought of when he heard that Cunniff would be leaving the team.

"It will work," Stevens said. "That's not even a question." Lamoriello said he spoke with Robinson several times during the past week, and Robinson agreed to fill in for Cunniff for the rest of the season.

"I don't know if it's an indication of the relationship and the interests we have," Lamoriello said. "We're all in it to get the best group together and have success." That was the same business approach that Lamoriello used when he fired the easygoing Robinson in January, less than a season after the Hall of Famer led the Devils within one victory of consecutive Stanley Cup titles.

"I still think Larry's an excellent coach," Lamoriello said when he fired Robinson. "Larry did everything and anything he possibly could. They weren't responding on a consistent basis." Lamoriello said that Robinson would handle the defensemen, along with Constantine.

"When I spoke to Larry I said I would understand if this was something he didn't want to do and I told him that no one would ever know we talked," Lamoriello said.

Devils center Bobby Holik wasn't worried about having Constantine and Robinson working together.

"Today's turn of events is minor compared to what's going on with Cunny," Holik said. "I've know him as long as I've been with this organization, and everybody just wants what's best for Cunny." When Robinson was fired on Jan. 28, the Devils had a 21-20-7-3 record and were ninth in the Eastern Conference, one spot out of the playoff picture.

Under Constantine, the Devils have moved into seventh place in the conference with 62 points. The eighth-place Rangers are one point back and two ahead of ninth-place Montreal.

The Devils also announced that John Hennessy, who had handled the radio play-by-play for their Albany team in the AHL, would take over as the Devils play-by-play man for the rest of the season.

Mike Miller left the position at the Olympic break to become general manager of Toledo in the ECHL. Hennessy worked some Devils' games last season when Miller was treated for cancer.

Rock on,
and on, and on...

Girard, Girard. Rick Girard!

17.-19.05. 2002 Nürburgring

DAS HERRSCHT

bigfoot49 Offline

Titel gesucht
Co-Admin

27.02.2002 15:26
#2 RE:Gefeuerter Robinson wird Co Trainer in N.J. Antworten
Coach Robinson wieder ein Devil
(26.02.2002)

Vor ziemlich genau vier Wochen, am 28. Januar, wurde Trainer Larry Robinson bei den New Jersey Devils aufgrund der schlechten Bilanz seines Teams in dieser Saison von seinen Aufgaben entbunden. Jetzt haben ihn die Devils wieder im Amt und Würden gehoben. Robinson wird Assistenztrainer von seinem Nachfolger Kevin Constantine, nachdem der bisherige zweite Mann John Cunniff an Krebs erkrankt ist.

Robinson, der die Mannschaft von New Jersey in 2000 und 2001 zwei Jahre hintereinander in das Stanley Cup Finale geführt hatte und 2000 den Titel gewann, erklärte sich erst nach mehreren Gesprächen mit Manager Lou Lamoriello bereit, den Posten für Cunniff einzunehmen. Die Devils haben seit der Übernahme von Constantine in sieben Spielen nur eine Niederlage hinnehmen müssen und sich auf einen Playoffplatz vorgearbeitet.
http://www.eishockey.com/berichte/news/njd020226.htm

cheers Stefan

«« 26/02/2002
 Sprung  

Xobor Xobor Forum Software
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen
Datenschutz